Mastering Quick and Easy Edits with YouTube's Built-In Video Editor
- 2023-05-13 11:30
YouTube has long been the go-to platform for video sharing and watching, and with the ever-increasing number of content creators and viewers, the need for a user-friendly and efficient video editing tool has become essential.
Enter YouTube's built-in video editor – a fantastic feature that can help you create professional-looking videos without the need for expensive software or extensive technical knowledge. In this article, we will walk you through the process of using this handy tool for quick and easy edits, so you can make your videos stand out from the crowd.
Accessing YouTube's Video Editor
Before you can start editing your videos, you need to know how to access the built-in video editor. To do this, follow these simple steps:
- Sign in to your YouTube account.
- Click on your profile picture in the top right corner of the screen, and then click on "YouTube Studio."
- In the left-hand menu, click on "Videos."
- Find the video you want to edit and click on the pencil icon to open the "Details" page.
- On the "Details" page, you will see a menu on the right-hand side of the screen. Click on "Editor" to launch the built-in video editor.
And that's it! You are now ready to start editing your video using YouTube's built-in video editor.
Trimming and Splitting Your Video
One of the most common editing tasks is trimming and splitting your video clips. This can help you remove unwanted sections, shorten the length of your video, or break it down into smaller, more digestible segments. Here's how to do it using YouTube's video editor:
- Once you're in the "Editor" view, you will see a timeline at the bottom of the screen, with your video represented as a blue bar.
- Click on the blue bar to select it, then move the white playhead to the point where you want to trim or split the video.
- To trim the beginning or end of your video, simply click and drag the blue bar's edges to the desired start or end point. When you're happy with your selection, release the mouse button. The trimmed section will turn gray, indicating it will be removed from the final video.
- If you want to split the video into multiple segments, click on the "Split" button (it looks like a pair of scissors) in the toolbar above the timeline. This will create a new split point at the playhead's position. You can then click and drag the split point to adjust its position, or click on the "Remove" button to delete a split point.
- Once you have finished trimming and splitting your video, click on the "Save" button in the top right corner of the screen to apply your changes.
Note that any changes you make using the video editor are non-destructive, meaning you can always revert to the original version of your video if needed.
Adding Music and Audio to Your Video
Adding music or audio to your video can make a world of difference in creating a more engaging and polished final product. YouTube's video editor makes this process quick and easy, offering a library of free, copyright-safe music and sound effects that you can use in your videos. Here's how to add music or audio to your video:
- In the "Editor" view, click on the "Audio" tab in the toolbar above the timeline.
- Browse the available music and sound effects by clicking on the "Music" or "Sound effects" tabs. You can also use the search bar to find specific tracks or effects.
- Once you have found a track or effect you want to use, click on the "+" button to add it to your video. The track will appear as a green bar in the timeline, under the "Audio" section.
- Click and drag the green bar to adjust the position and duration of the audio track in your video. You can also adjust the volume by clicking on the speaker icon and moving the slider.
- When you're happy with your audio settings, click on the "Save" button in the top right corner of the screen to apply your changes.
Remember that using copyrighted music without permission can result in your video being taken down or monetization being disabled. Always make sure to use royalty-free music or obtain the necessary permissions before adding music to your videos.
Adding Text and Annotations to Your Video
Adding text and annotations to your video can help provide additional information, direct viewers to other content, or simply add a creative touch. While YouTube's built-in video editor does not have a dedicated text tool, you can still add text and annotations using the "End screen" and "Cards" features. Here's how:
- In the "Editor" view, click on the "End screen" tab in the toolbar above the timeline.
- Choose from one of the available templates or click on "Add element" to create a custom end screen. You can add elements such as video or playlist suggestions, subscribe buttons, links to other channels, and more.
- Adjust the position, size, and duration of the elements by clicking and dragging them in the preview window. You can also adjust the timing of the elements by clicking and dragging the corresponding gray bars in the timeline.
- When you're happy with your end screen, click on the "Save" button in the top right corner of the screen to apply your changes.
- To add cards (small, clickable annotations that can appear during your video), return to the "Details" page of your video and click on the "Cards" tab in the right-hand menu.
- Click on "Add card" and choose from the available options, such as video or playlist suggestions, links to other channels, polls, and more. Set the time at which the card should appear in your video, and click on "Create card."
- Adjust the text and appearance of the card using the provided options, then click on "Save" to apply your changes.
With these features, you can easily add text and annotations to your video to enhance viewer engagement and provide additional context or information.
In conclusion, YouTube's built-in video editor is a powerful tool that can help you create polished videos with ease. By mastering the skills of trimming and splitting, adding music and audio, and adding text and annotations, you can elevate your video content and make a lasting impression on your viewers. Don't be afraid to experiment with different editing techniques and styles to find the perfect combination for your unique brand and vision. Happy editing!